Sector News

AB InBev and SABMiller expect megabrew merger to complete October 10

August 2, 2016
Food & Drink

Anheuser-Busch InBev and SABMiller, the world’s two largest brewers, set out a timetable on Monday for the final stages of their $100 billion-plus merger, with completion of the deal expected in a little more than two months.

SABMiller’s board agreed last week to an improved 79 billion pound ($104.3 billion) offer from AB InBev, which said it would now publish the takeover terms on Tuesday.

A key step in the process is an Aug. 22 British court hearing to assess SABMiller’s proposal that its shareholders should be divided into two classes, with each needing to approve the terms.

AB InBev has put forward two variations of its offer: a straight 45 pounds per share intended for the majority of investors and a cash-and-shares offer aimed at SABMiller’s two largest shareholders, Altria (MO.N) and the Santo Domingo family of Colombia. The two own 41 percent of SABMiller.

The combination is contentious because the cash-and-share offer is now worth more than the cash bid, though the new shares would have to be held for five years.

By splitting the vote, the deal would need backing from up to 85 percent of the shares rather than the 75 percent needed in a unified vote. Altria and Bevco, the Santo Domingo investment vehicle, have already signaled their support.

AB InBev and SABMiller shareholder meetings are scheduled for Sept. 28, with completion of the deal expected on Oct. 10 and trading of the yet to be named combined group slated for Oct. 11.

The timetable comes after a hectic Friday in which China first gave conditional approval for the merger. The SABMiller board also recommended acceptance, though it did say the deal was at the lower end of an acceptable range.

The deal, the largest ever in the consumer industry, would combine AB InBev’s Budweiser, Stella Artois and Corona with SABMiller’s Castle Lager and take it into fast-growing African and new Latin American markets.

By Philip Blenkinsop and Pranav Kiran

Source: Reuters

comments closed

Related News

May 21, 2022

Cécile Béliot becomes Bel Group CEO

Food & Drink

Cécile Béliot has assumed the role of Bel Group chief executive officer, following the decision to separate the roles of chairman and CEO. The separation of the functions will enable Bel Group to develop in three areas of healthy snacking. Meanwhile, the company’s former CEO, Antoine Fiévet, has had his mandate renewed as chairman of the board.

May 21, 2022

“Corporate greed and dereliction of duty”: FDA commissioner slammed over infant formula shortage

Food & Drink

US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Commissioner Dr. Robert Califf was grilled by lawmakers during a House Appropriations subcommittee hearing, where he was slammed over the agency’s handling of the escalating infant formula shortage.

May 21, 2022

Sweegen hails antioxidants and bitter blocking tech a turning point for sugar reduction and healthy aging

Food & Drink

Sweegen is ramping up its efforts to reduce sugar across F&B applications while simultaneously tapping into the benefits of using antioxidants and bitter blocking technology. Speaking to FoodIngredientsFirst, Casey McCormick, vice president of global innovation at Sweegen, says product developers can find a broad range of solutions in Sweegen’s nature-based sweetener systems as brands elevate better-for-you foods.