Sector News

Qatar Petroleum acquires Yara’s 25% stake in Qatar Fertiliser Co for $1 billion

March 10, 2020
Energy & Chemical Value Chain

Qatar Petroleum (QP) said on Sunday it had signed an agreement with Yara international to acquire its 25 percent stake in Qatar Fertiliser Company (QAFCO) for $1 billion, according to statements by both companies.

The transaction will mark a conclusion of a partnership that started with establishing QAFCO, a joint venture, in which Yara owned a 25% share with the remaining 75% owned by Industries Qatar (IQ), which in turn is owned 51% by QP.

QAFCO since then has become the world’s largest single-site urea producer, representing a significant percentage of the world’s traded urea volume, according to a QP statement.

The deal is still pending necessary local regulatory approvals and customary closing conditions.

Yara, one of the world’s leading fertilizer companies, said it will evaluate potential extraordinary dividends and/or share buy-backs, in line with its policy of maintaining a mid- to long-term net debt/EBITDA range of 1.5-2.0, after the closing of the transaction.

By Maher Chmaytelli

Source: Reuters

comments closed

Related News

May 26, 2024

Borealis signs first Austrian wind and solar PPA with Burgenland Energie

Energy & Chemical Value Chain

Borealis has partnered with Austria-based wind and solar power producer and green tech solution provider Burgenland Energie on a power purchase agreement (PPA). Under the ten-year agreement, renewable electricity will be provided by a hybrid renewable energy park located in Nickelsdorf, Austria, which is owned by Burgenland Energie’s subsidiaries Nick Alpha and Wind PV Operation.

May 26, 2024

DuPont to split into three companies

Energy & Chemical Value Chain

DuPont de Nemours Inc. announced plans to split into three separate, publicly traded companies. The electronic materials and water business will become independent companies, with the remainder of the company to comprise New DuPont. The splits will be complete within 18 to 24 months, and do not require shareholder approval.

May 26, 2024

Olin hires new leader for chlor-alkali and vinyls business

Energy & Chemical Value Chain

Olin Corp. has hired Deon Carter as vice president and president/chlor-alkali products and vinyls, effective June 17. Carter was previously COO at Continental Industries Group, a position he took April 2023 after serving as president and CEO of Scientific Design Company.

How can we help you?

We're easy to reach