Sector News

Hexion exits bankruptcy protection

July 2, 2019
Chemical Value Chain

Hexion Inc. emerged from Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection 1 July, shedding more than $2 billion in debt. The company says it is now “well positioned to make substantial reinvestments into its businesses” as a result of a strengthened capital structure and lower interest expense.

The US Bankruptcy Court for the District of Delaware has approved the company’s reorganization plan last week. Hexion filed for bankruptcy protection on 1 April, citing net debt of $3.9 billion and bids that valued the company between $3.1 and $3.3 billion.

Hexion had sales of $3.7 billion and Ebitda of $425 million for the 12-month period ended 31 March. The restructuring plan cuts debt by roughly $2.2 billion and its debt-to-Ebitda ratio from 8.2 times to 3.5. First-lien bondholders hold about 72.5% of the company’s equity and other debt holders the remaining 27.5%. Hexion is expected to seek an initial public offering of shares later this year. It has raised $300 million through a rights offering and approximately $2.0 billion in exit financing.

Hexion’s forest products division is the largest global maker of formaldehyde-based resins and intermediates. Its epoxy, phenolic and coatings resins business has a number one or two positions in most key segments.

“We are moving forward with significantly less debt and greater financial flexibility, which enhances our competitive position and ability to create long-term value,” says Craig Rogerson, Hexion president and CEO. “As an appropriately capitalized market leader with substantial free cash flow generation capabilities and a lower interest burden, we will continue to enhance our value-creating platform by accelerating new product development.”

By Robert Westervelt

Source: Chemical Week

comments closed

Related News

January 23, 2022

Eastman invests US$1B in world’s largest molecular plastics recycling facility in France

Chemical Value Chain

Eastman is investing up to US$1 billion in building what it says is the world’s largest molecular plastics recycling facility in France. The new facility would use Eastman’s polyester renewal technology to recycle up to 160,000 metric tons of hard-to-recycle plastic waste annually – enough plastic waste to fill Stade de France national football stadium 2.5 times.

January 23, 2022

LG Energy Solution opens books for South Korea’s largest IPO at up to $10.8 bln

Chemical Value Chain

Korean battery maker LG Energy Solution has opened the books to investors to raise up to $10.8 billion in the country’s largest initial public offering (IPO), according to a term sheet seen by Reuters. The shares will be sold in a price range of 257,000 won to 300,000 won ($216.19-$252.36) apiece to raise between $9.2 billion and $10.8 billion, the term sheet showed.

January 23, 2022

SHYNE, the largest consortium to promote renewable hydrogen in Spain, is born

Chemical Value Chain

The SHYNE (Spanish Hydrogen Network) project is the largest multisectoral consortium in Spain, created to promote the decarbonization of the economy through renewable hydrogen. SHYNE will have a total investment of €3.23 billion euros that will serve to develop more competitive technologies and evolve both the Spanish industry and its infrastructure towards decarbonization, generating more than 13,000 jobs.

Send this to a friend