Sector News

Kraft Heinz said to be considering takeover of Colgate-Palmolive

May 23, 2017
Consumer Packaged Goods

Kraft Heinz, the deal-hungry food manufacturer that in February gave up on its plan to acquire Unilever), is considering a takeover of Colgate-Palmolive.

According to a person claiming to have knowledge of the matter, Kraft has lined up tens of billions of dollars from multiple banks to help finance an acquisition of the maker of toothpastes that could value it at up to $90 billion.

A takeover of Colgate, which has a current enterprise value of nearly $70 billion, would be the largest M&A transaction this year and transformative for the consumer space. It would also be a massive undertaking and a clear shift for the mostly food-focused Kraft, though not a total surprise to investors given its interest in Unilever and recent comments from management.

Speaking on the company’s Q1 conference call, CFO Paulo Luiz Araujo Basilio pointed out that Kraft, which is backed by Warren Buffett’s Berkshire Hathaway and 3G Capital, wants to own brands it would be happy owning for the long run, brands with strong equity, strong relative market share, and brands that can travel.

“I think at the end of the day that these two segments of the consumer product goods are very similar,” Basílio said in response to an inquire about possible acquisitions outside of food, “and that’s the reason why you see also many companies operating brands for consumers, sometimes food, sometimes personal care, sometimes healthcare.”

Yesterday the New York Post reported that Colgate-Palmolive’s CEO signaled it would be open to selling the company for $100 per share. Unilever and Johnson & Johnson (NYSE: JNJ) were mentioned as other possible suitors.

Kraft Heinz declined to comment on the rumor. Colgate-Palmolive hasn’t responded to a request to comment.

Source: Street Insider

comments closed

Related News

March 28, 2025

Bunge sells European margarines and spreads business to Vandemoortele

Consumer Packaged Goods

Bunge Global SA has entered into an agreement to divest its European margarines and spreads division to Vandemoortele, a prominent family-owned food group based in Europe. This transaction includes Bunge’s manufacturing operations in Germany, Finland, Poland and Hungary, along with a portfolio of 20 consumer brands.

March 28, 2025

Nestlé to close two German production sites amid rising costs

Consumer Packaged Goods

Nestlé has announced plans to cease operations at its Conow production site in early 2026 and its Neuss plant in mid-2026, citing rising costs and declining volumes driven by increasing consumer price sensitivity. According to the company, the decisions follow an intensive review of both sites’ performance.

March 28, 2025

Lucas Bols appoints Frank Cocx as new CEO

Consumer Packaged Goods

Dutch alcohol group Lucas Bols has appointed Frank Cocx to the role of CEO, with current CEO Huub van Doorne to step down after 20 years in the role. Cocx, previously Lucas Bols’ CFO, will take up the position from 1 October.

How can we help you?

We're easy to reach