Sector News

TechnipFMC resumes plans to split company

January 10, 2021
Chemical Value Chain

TechnipFMC says it has resumed activities related to the previous announced separation of the company into two separate pure-play businesses, TechnipFMC and Technip Energies. The company suspended the separation process in March 2020 because of changed market conditions due to the COVID-19 pandemic, saying it would resume once markets had recovered.

“The increased clarity we now have in the market outlook, coupled with our demonstrated ability to successfully execute projects in this most challenging period, give us confidence to move forward with the separation. We continue to believe this action would allow both businesses to thrive independently within their sectors, enabling each to unlock significant shareholder value,” says TechnipFMC CEO Doug Pferdehirt.

The transaction is expected to be structured as a spin-off of a 50.1% stake in TechnipFMC’s Technip Energies segment, with TechnipFMC to retain ownership of the remaining 49.9% in outstanding Technip Energies shares. The separation is expected to be completed in the first quarter of 2021, subject to customary conditions and regulatory approvals, says TechnipFMC. It intends to conduct “an orderly sale” of its remaining stake in Technip Energies over time, it says.

Technip Energies will be a leading engineering and technology player headquartered in Paris, France, while TechnipFMC will be a “fully integrated technology and services provider,” with headquarters in Houston, Texas, it says.

Both businesses are expected to be “appropriately capitalized with sufficient cash to support anticipated operating and investment plans,” with a pro forma estimated cash position of $4.6 billion at the time of separation, according to TechnipFMC.

Existing TechnipFMC shareholder Bpifrance is committed to supporting the transaction and intends to invest $200 million in Technip Energies by acquiring shares from TechnipFMC’s retained stake to become a long-term reference shareholder in Technip Energies, TechnipFMC says.

Technip Energies would be one of the world’s largest engineering and technology companies with “leadership positions in liquefied natural gas [LNG], hydrogen, and ethylene, as well as growing market positions in sustainable chemistry and CO2 management,” it says. Arnaud Pieton, currently president at Technip Energies, will be appointed as its CEO.

TechnipFMC first announced the planned demerger of the company in August 2019.

by Mark Thomas

Source: chemweek.com

comments closed

Related News

September 25, 2022

France and Sweden both launch ‘first of a kind’ hydrogen facilities

Chemical Value Chain

France has launched an offshore green hydrogen production platform at the country’s Port of Saint-Nazaire this week, along with its first offshore wind farm. The hydrogen plant, which its operators say is the world’s first facility of its type, coincides with the launch of another “first of its kind” facility in Sweden dedicated to storing hydrogen in an underground lined rock cavern (LRC).

September 25, 2022

NextChem announces €194-million grant for waste-to-hydrogen project in Rome

Chemical Value Chain

The project sets up the Hydrogen Valley in Rome, the first industrial-scale technological hub for the development of the national supply chain for the production, transport, storage and use of hydrogen for the decarbonization of industrial processes and for sustainable mobility.

September 25, 2022

The problem with hydrogen

Chemical Value Chain

At first glance, hydrogen seems to be the perfect solution to our energy needs. It doesn’t produce any carbon dioxide when used. It can store energy for long periods of time. It doesn’t leave behind hazardous waste materials, like nuclear does. And it doesn’t require large swathes of land to be flooded, like hydroelectricity. Seems too good to be true. So…what’s the catch?