Sector News

ChemChina, Rosneft sign agreement for petrochemical project in Russia

September 6, 2016
Energy & Chemical Value Chain

ChemChina (Beijing) and oil company Rosneft (Moscow, Russia) have signed a non-binding agreement setting out the framework for implementation of the companies’ previously announced Far-Eastern Petrochemical Co. (FEPCO) project, located near the city of Nakhodka in far eastern Russia.

The agreement was signed by ChemChina president Ren Jianxin and Rosneft CEO Igor Sechin on 4 September during the G20 summit in Hangzhou, China. It confirms the intention of each party to develop FEPCO and create a joint venture (JV) for its implementation. Rosneft will hold a 60% stake in the JV and ChemChina will hold the remaining 40%. It also specifies the schedule of performing the front-end engineering and design, infrastructure development, and the key tasks of implementing the project.

“The creation of the JV will allow us to efficiently build the development structure of one of the most promising petrochemical projects of the world that has direct access to the market of the Asia/Pacific region,” Sechin was quoted by Russian media as saying.

ChemChina and Rosneft signed a memorandum of understanding for the FEPCO project in September 2015. In June 2016, the parties signed a heads of agreement for a joint feasibility study.

The FEPCO project would be one of the largest industrial complexes in Russia. Phase 1 of the project, scheduled for completion in 2020, comprises a 12-million metric tons/year refinery. Phase 2, to be completed in 2022, will have a petrochemical plant that includes a naphtha cracker capable of producing 1.4 million metric tons/year of ethylene and 600,000 metric tons/year of propylene, according to Rosneft. Downstream production will include 850,000 metric tons/year of polyethylene; 800,000 metric tons/year of polypropylene; 200,000 metric tons/year of butadiene; 230,000 metric tons/year of benzene; and 700,000 metric tons/year of ethylene glycol.

By Sok Peng Chua

Source: Chemical Week

comments closed

Related News

November 26, 2023

INEOS Styrolution and Sinopec inaugurate new ABS facility in Ningbo, China

Energy & Chemical Value Chain

INEOS Styrolution, the global leader in styrenics, has today announced the official opening of a new world-scale ABS[1] facility located in Ningbo, China, together with its joint venture partner SINOPEC. The facility has an annual nameplate capacity of 600,000 tonnes.

November 26, 2023

Rohm, SABIC combine on New Film, Sheet Unit

Energy & Chemical Value Chain

The merger of Röhm’s Acrylic Products business unit and SABIC’s Functional Forms business has resulted in the formation of Polyvantis. This new company will offer extruded products in the forms film, sheet, pipe and rod for markets that include building and construction, transportation and aviation, electrical and electronics, automotive and home and garden.

November 26, 2023

Report: Adnoc considering €10B acquisition of BASF affiliate Wintershall DEA

Energy & Chemical Value Chain

Abu Dhabi National Oil Co. (Adnoc) is considering plans to acquire upstream oil and gas company Wintershall DEA, an affiliate of BASF SE, according to a Bloomberg report citing people with knowledge of the matter. A deal to acquire Wintershall DEA could be worth more than €10 billion, the report said. BASF and Adnoc declined to comment on the report.

How can we help you?

We're easy to reach